Pinwheel or scroll cookies look great, there are so many variations you could apply to this design and have a lot of fun with it. I have always wanted to try and make these, they look a lot harder than it is!
Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies
Recipe from:- Hershey's
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/3 cup ground almonds
• 1/4 cup Cocoa
• 4-1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted
1. Beat 1/2 cup softened butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, beating until soft dough forms.
2. Remove half the dough to medium bowl; blend in ground almonds and almond extract, if desired. Add cocoa and melted butter to remaining dough; blend well. Divide each dough in half. Refrigerate doughs, if necessary, until firm enough to handle.
3. Between 2 pieces of wax paper, roll one portion almond dough into 8-inch square; repeat procedure with one portion chocolate dough. Remove top sheets of wax paper; invert almond dough onto chocolate dough. Peel off top sheet of wax paper; roll up lightly. Repeat procedure with remaining doughs. Wrap both rolls in wax paper or plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 to 5 hours or until firm.
4. Heat oven to 350°F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 9 to 12 minutes or just until set. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 5 dozen cookies.