Monday, June 21, 2010

lemonade scones

I love Devonshire tea, big fluffy fresh out of the oven scones with fresh whipped cream and homemade strawberry jam! ....a nice hot cuppa tea of course. Mum always made the best scones, and we used to sell them at work, date or spinach and cheese..mmm...a perfect snack or treat!


This recipe was first introduced to me by one of my employees at King of Cakes, where i used to manage a bakery/cafe. Young Anna loved to cook and one day before work baked these "lemonade" scones to bring in with her for us all! I couldn't believe how light, fluffy and perfect they were!


The original recipe i found to make these is courtesy of Exclusively Food, you can pop over there to see it! Check out the rest of the blog, it has some fantastic otehr recipes to try!

The only change i made was that i didn't have self-raising flour so i made my own with 2 cups plain flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda. I also flattened out my dough a little low and managed to get 18 smaller scones out of the batch. I will know for next time to leave it higher, the 3.5cm suggested not my 2cm!! Silly me....

They did turn out soft and fluffy and just as good as the bigger ones would have been i'm sure! But you know, when you make a mistake it's always a good excuse to make more! =)

These are best eaten on the day and preferably fresh out of the oven, they don't have the "lastability" of a sturdy scone, so *chompchomp*! Maybe make them for afternoon tea with friends, takes 5 minutes to make and 15 minutes to cook! Can be done while chatting away with a couple of friends and a cuppa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...