Friday, April 2, 2010

coconut cream tarts

My husband asked me if he could have a cream pie this weekend. Now in Australia we don't do cream pies like you do in the USA or Canada. So i had to do a little research. Hubby said "chocolate, strawberry, coconut for example" and i thought Ohhh! I like coconut, and have always wanted to make more using it. I found quite a lot of yummy recipes, each using different techniques. I had the other half of the cream cheese pastry left from the butter tarts to use up!


The recipe that caught my eye came from La Vida en Buenos Aires i mean, take a look at those gorgeous tarts! I ended up spending quite a while perusing her blog....gorgeous, delicious and such fantastic photography!

I ended up just using the filling recipe, which turned out amazing, sweet, creamy and sets to a lovely texture. The cream cheese pastry is a little puffy to blind bake, but still made for a tasty tart. I would definately recommend this recipe and make it again...and again...mmmm...

Coconut Cream Tarts ~
I have adjusted the recipe to how i used it.
You can check out the original courtesy of La Vida en Buenos Aires whom i thank for sharing this recipe!

I used the cream cheese pastry from Butter Tarts which i had left over and pre-rolled, cut and moulded and left in the fridge until baking time.

Filling

395 g sweet condensed milk (i used 300ml tin)
395 g coconut milk (i used the 398ml tin)
2 tablespoon corn starch
2 eggs yolk beaten

Place the condensed milk and coconut milk in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium high heat. Meanwhile, whisk the yolks in a medium sized bowl . Add the corn starch and whisk thoroughly. Pour in the hot milk mixture in gradually and whisk for 10 seconds, before pouring the whole lot back into the saucepan. Simmer on medium high heat for 5 minutes, continuously whisking, or until thick. (be careful it doesn't burn on the bottom) Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the creme, and leave at room temperature to cool.

This is where i baked off my tart shells, that i had pre-rolled, cut and moulded and left in the fridge to rest until baking. I baked them at 180C for around 15-20 mins or until golden.

Then i simply spooned the filling into the tart shells and topped with a little toasted coconut for crunch and flavour =) I know i was supposed to make cream pie, but there is whipped cream in the fridge for all those who would like some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...