After making Homemade Fig Newtons and them being such a great success, with much thanks to The Boastful Baker i kept thinking about what other flavours i could make with that recipe!!
I saw All Day I Dream About Food had done it! Why not! So i decided on Strawberry Newtons, but i had some dried cranberries too so i threw them in also! Just for luck =)
Strawberry Cranberry Newtons
1 cup finely chopped dried strawberries
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups apple juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1. Make the filling: Combine the strawberries & cranberries, water, apple juice, lemon juice and sugar in a medium sauceapan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook at a bare simmer for 1-2 hours until the fruit is so soft that it's spreadable. Most of the moisture will cook out and create a nice thick syrup.
2. Transfer to a food processor or blender, add the lemon zest and process until smooth. Remove from the food processor and allow to cool.
(i don't have a food processor, so mine was a little chunky, but we loved it!!)
3. Make the dough: Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, for 2-3 minutes on medium speed. Scrape down the bowl and paddle. Add the egg and vanilla and beat in. Scrape down the bowl and paddle again. Add the flour and beat on low speed until the dough comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4. Place racks in middle and lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. On a floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12 x 16 rectangle. Cut into 4 equal strips, each 12 x 4 inches. Spoon a line of filling down the center of each strip. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges together. Place on the parchment-lined baking sheets, seam side down.
6. Using a super sharp knife, slice each log into 10 cookies. (Pop the logs in the freezer for 10 minutes before slicing them.) Bake, rotating the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through, for 12-15 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack.
Again i thank The Boastful Baker for sharing her wonderful homemade newton recipe! The dough recipe is amazing, it turns out beautifully every time! This filling was sweet with a little taste of tart from the cranberries, my husband and son LOVED them!
What's next...i'm thinking tropical with mango and pineapple? raspberry? blueberry!