I've made a few different loaves of homemade bread over the years and really enjoyed the end results. Fresh is best and if you have the time and like the effort (i find bread making VERY therapeutic when you get to the kneading part!) Some people use bread-makers, i'm not sure about those, never used one, don't have room for one and personally couldn't afford one anyways! We don't even have a microwave in our home THAT'S how much i cook from scratch every day! My husband thinks i'm odd...... Anywho, back to this beet bread. Absolutely amazingly delicious! Love it! I would definately make this again! I was thinking i could change the vegetable puree used, maybe even mixed vegetable puree......hmmm! Original recipe found @ Taste for Adventure!
Wholewheat Beet Bread
Makes 1 Big Round Loaf
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups beet puree (puree 3-4 cooked beets with 1/2 cup milk)
4-5 cups wholewheat flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp instant yeast
1. In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and water. Let rest 5 minutes
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fixed with the paddle attachment, combine flour and salt. Add in yeast mixture, beet puree and olive oil. Mix until just combined. OR if you are like me, mix in a bowl by hand!
3. Knead, by hand or in a stand mixer fixed with the dough hook, about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
4. Remove risen dough from bowl and shape into a round ball. Place dough on a baking stone or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and cover loosely with a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F Before baking the bread, sprinkle the top with a little flour and make an X shape on the top with a serrated knife.
6. Place the bread in the oven and pour 1 cup hot water into a pan and place under the loaf, closing the oven door immediately. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
7. Allow bread to cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing or serving.
This bread is AMAZING! It turned out perfectly! I can't stop munching on it. Makes perfect toast!